These blueberry lemon waffles (with cream cheese icing) are the perfect low-carb breakfast made right in your mini-waffle maker.
Are waffles high in carbs?
In a regular, full-sized waffle you're getting about 25g. carbs total. For two of these mini-waffles, the carb count is nearly cut in half. And, if you add in maple syrup, you end up eating lots of carbs and sugar.
Are blueberries high in carbs?
According to WebMD, blueberries are among the top fruits for low-carb choices. There are 8 total net carbs in 50 blueberries. Compared to other fruits, this is still on the lower side.
What are some low carb waffle toppings?
Some great low-carb waffle toppings include:
- low carb syrup or sugar free maple syrup
- berry fruits, such as strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries meshed with your favorite sweetener
- cream cheese with erythritrol (Swerve) and almond milk (as in this recipe)
If you don't have blueberries on hand, simply sub them out for raspberries, blackberries or strawberries for this recipe!
How do I make low carb blueberry lemon waffles from scratch?
To make these waffles, you'll need the following ingredients:
- almond flour (I prefer the fine kind)
- lemon juice
- non-stick cooking spray
Can I freeze these waffles?
Yes, you can make a batch and freeze ahead. To reheat, I recommend toasting in the oven or a toaster until crisp.
How do I make cream cheese icing for blueberry lemon waffles?
To make the cream cheese, first heat it up to soften (in the microwave). I put it in for about 10 seconds per 2 oz of cream cheese used.
Next, mix the icing with unsweet almond/coconut milk and your favorite sweetener until smooth. I like to use a fork to whisk.
Blueberry Lemon Waffles with Cream Cheese Icing
- waffle maker / mini waffle maker
- 1 egg
- ½ cup almond flour fine
- 2 tsp erythritrol (or Swerve sweetener)
- 1 tsp juice of lemon
- ¼ cup blueberries fresh
- 1 pinch lemon zest optional
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients
- 1 tbsp erythritrol
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- Preheat waffle maker
- In a medium bowl, mix ingredients with a fork until smooth.
- Spray hot waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray and add ingredients. Cook for at least 4-5 minutes. Top with Icing.
- soften cream cheese for 10 seconds in the microwave. Remove and mix other icing ingredients in a bowl (with a fork) until smooth.