Keto chicken and dumplings is a true comfort food treat when all you want to do is stay inside and keep warm.
How many carbs are in chicken and dumplings?
A regular serving of chicken and dumpling soup can contain up to 14 grams per cup. However, the low carb dumplings in this dish are grain-free, healthy and keto friendly. I altered the recipe for keto biscuits from The Big Man's World to make the dumplings for this recipe.
Can I make dairy-free dumplings with almond flour?
Yes! These gluten free, paleo drop dumplings are easy to make ahead of time, even before the day you make your gluten-free chicken and dumpling soup.
How do I make Keto Chicken and Dumplings?
To make this recipe keto it's all about the dumplings and not using grain or flour in the recipe. Instead, we use almond flour for the dumpling dough.
How do you make this recipe in the Crock-Pot?
This healthy recipe is easy to make in the crock pot, slow cooker or Instant Pot. If you're making it in the crock pot, follow the same instructions, minus the pressure cooking. Instead, you'll cook on low for about 4 hours.
If you're making this on the stove top, instead of pressure cooking, cook on medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
Can I freeze chicken and dumplings?
I do not recommend freezing the dumplings with the chicken soup portion. However, You may go ahead and make the soup ahead of time and freeze it, while adding the dumplings later.
I like to make my soup ahead of time, freeze it, then when it’s time for dinner, I’ll only have to prepare the low carb dumpling dough.
How long do chicken and dumplings keep?
Chicken and dumplings should last two to three days in the refrigerator if kept in an airtight container and stored well.
Keto Chicken and Dumplings
- Pressure cooker or Instant Pot / Foodi
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- Sauté butter onions and poultry seasoning for 6 to 8 minutes in instant pot or stove top
- Stir in celery and carrots. Add broth and chicken. Secure lid and set pressure too high for two minutes. Cancel after two minutes and set valve to venting quick release pressure.
- Make Dumpling dough in the meantime.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the chopped butter and blend into the flour mixture until crumbly.
- Add milk and eggs. Form into balls of dough. If too thin, add more almond flour and compact.
- Add dumpling dough to soup and sauté for about 7 minutes.