Banana Cream Pudding: Low Carb/Keto Style
Keto doesn't mean you have to give up bananas. This keto banana cream pudding recipe includes one thinly sliced banana in the entire pudding.
At 10 g. carbs, that's still enough to keep your low-carb status if you only have a slice- or 5 g. for half a slice (strict keto).
How do I make low carb banana cream pudding?
This delicious low-carb banana pudding dessert has 3 parts.
- The vanilla wafer/ banana layer
- The instant pudding layer
- The whipped topping layer
How do I make keto vanilla wafers?
Simply mix almond flour, vanilla extract, egg yolks, butter, and the secret ingredient together. What's the secret ingredient, you ask?
Your favorite brand of sugar-free maple syrup!
Maple syrup gives your cookies a scrumptious sweet taste! Even my two-year old loved these cookies, and he's quite the picky eater.
After mixing together your wafer ingredients, place them at least an inch apart on a non-stick baking sheet.
After about 17 minutes, remove from the oven and allow time to cool on a drying rack.
Can I have instant pudding on keto?
Yes, in moderation. Just don't overdo it. If you're doing lazy keto, or just craving a low-carb treat, this recipe is for you.
The one addition to the instant pudding mix that really livens up this recipe is the softened cream cheese.
Make sure your cream cheese is ready to mix in with the other ingredients.
I soften mine for 30 seconds in the microwave before mixing it in with the almond milk and half and half.
Strict keto banana pudding option
If you're on a strict keto diet and don't want to use instant pudding, make this instead:
- First, mix for 4 tablespoons powdered (confectioner's) erythritol, 2 cups heavy whipping cream, and 1 tsp banana extract and 1 tsp vanilla extract with an electric mixer on low-medium until thickened.
- Cover your cookie/banana layer with this mix.
How do I make keto whipped topping?
This is the easiest part of the recipe.
First, blend heavy whipping cream, powdered erythritol, and vanilla extract. Use your electric mixer to mix on low-medium until you notice "soft peaks" form at the end of your mixer when lifted (see photo for soft peaks).
Low carb banana pie option
Make this recipe into a low carb banana pie by adding all the cookies and banana slices to the bottom layer of a round pie dish. Next, add the pudding layer. Finally, add the whipped topping or a meringue topping. I like this meringue recipe from Wholesome Yum.
Keto Banana Cream Pudding
- electric mixer
Vanilla Wafer Ingredients
Instant Cream Pudding Ingredients
Vanilla Wafer Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, melt butter for 8-10 seconds in microwave. Mix in the other wafer ingredients together using a whisk.
- On a cookie sheet or non-stick baking sheet, place teaspoons of mix at at least ½ in. apart. Flatten with fingers. Dampen fingers with water if cookie mix sticks to your hand.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until edges start to brown.
Instant Cream Pudding Instructions
- Soften cream cheese in microwave for at least 30 seconds in a large bowl. Mix.
- Add all other ingredients, except banana. Mix with an electric mixer.
- In a large dish, layer cookies and thin banana slices, then instant cream mixture. Repeat. Refrigerate 2-4 hours.
Whipped Topping Instructions
- Mix all ingredients with an electric mixer on low until soft peaks form. Add topping to pudding.
If you like low-carb banana pudding, you'll love:
This recipe was inspired by an old-fashioned favorite from All Recipes.