I always keep keto bread crumbs on hand for air frying, pan-frying and baking the best low carb recipes. The low carb breadcrumbs are so versatile and work with lots of foods, including seafood, chicken, beef and vegetables. Make this simple recipe in 5 minutes or less, with or without pork rinds.
Are breadcrumbs keto?
Traditional panko, or breadcrumbs, are not keto friendly. They typically have 20-25 grams per serving. However, these keto Italian breadcrumbs are actually bread-less.
These breadless breadcrumbs contain almond flour and parmesan cheese as the base.
Pork rinds are completely optional. I typically only add in a few for extra crunch, as I am not a huge fan of them. I used the following ingredients for this recipe:
- almond flour
- parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- original pork rinds (optional)
- Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes
As long as you have parmesan and almond flour as your base, you can customize these almond flour bread crumbs as needed.
how to make keto breadcrumbs
Looking for a bread crumb replacement for your favorite low carb recipes?
Simply add all ingredients to a bowl and stir with a fork! If you’re using pork rinds, place in a zippered bag and mash them up first.
Since we’re using freshly grated parmesan cheese, we’ll need to store them in the refrigerator to keep. They may also be frozen for up to 6 months in a zippered container.
Place in an air-tight container or zippered bag and store for up to two weeks as needed.
One of the great things about this recipe is that it’s a fully customizable alternative to regular panko bread crumbs.
If you like a spicy foods, add in some Cajun seasoning or red pepper flakes.
Or, season this bread crumb mixture by adding lemon pepper or extra Italian seasoning.
how to use the breadcrumbs for frying
I’ve used this bread crumb substitute for frying everything from air fryer calamari to zucchini parmesan chips.
To make a batter for frying, you’ll need:
- keto bread crumbs
- egg batter (add 2 eggs with 1/3 c. heavy whipping cream or half and half)
- Simply dredge pieces of meat/veggie in the dairy batter
- then add on the crumbs (I recommend using tongs)
How many carbs are in this recipe?
- There’s 3 g. net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) for these bread crumbs, making them ideal for the keto lifestyle
Can I use other types of cheese for this recipe?
Freshly grated parmesan or dried, aged parmesan works best. You may also use any other hard cheeses, like Pecorino Romano.
Can I make keto breading without pork rinds?
Absolutely, mix and match this recipe to your taste preferences!
Can I substitute the Italian seasoning?
Sure, I recommend lemon pepper, cajun, steak or poultry seasonings as an alternative.
- ¾ cup almond flour finely ground
- ⅔ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- ½ tsp salt to taste
- ½ tsp pepper to taste
- ½ cup pork rinds crushed, optional
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning optional
- Add parmesan, almond flour, salt and pepper to a bowl.
- Add in other optional ingredients. Stir with a fork.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Leave a Reply