This easy keto calamari can be made in the air fryer, pan or oven to suit your needs! Simple to make, with amazing crunchy flavor- you won’t even notice it’s low carb/keto friendly!
How do I prepare calamari for the air fryer?
To prepare calamari, first pat dry with a paper towel, soak egg and cream mixture, then roll in “breading.” You’ll also roll the banana pepper rings into the batter and breading too.
How do I make keto calamari?
Calamari is keto on its own, but the fried version with breading typically has lots of carbs and added calories.
To make fried keto calamari, I subbed the typical breadcrumb mixture with pork rinds.
How many calories does calamari have?
There are 80 calories in 3 oz. of calamari.
How many carbs do calamari rings have?
Squid has no carbs.
How long will calamari keep in the fridge?
Freshly cooked calamari will keep for up to two days in the refrigerator in a sealed airtight container.
Can I freeze calamari?
Calamari can be frozen in a sealed zipper container or freezer bag for up to a month.
To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Next, air fryer at 400°F for five minutes or bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for up to 10 minutes, or until crisp.
How do I make calamari rings in oven?
It makes quit in the oven, you will better as usual, but bake them at 400°F for 10 minutes, flipping halfway, and then baking for another 5 to 10 minutes.
How do I pan fry calamari rings?
Batter the calamari rings as usual, but cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to frying in the pan.
Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a large pot to at least 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add rings, one at a time to the pot. Remove after a few minutes, when golden brown.
Can I make this recipe with frozen calamari?
Yes, cook frozen calamari rings at 400°F for eight minutes in the air fryer.
What can I substitute for pork rinds?
If you do not like pork rinds, simply use parmesan cheese and low carb breadcrumbs/ toasted breadcrumbs.
What sides go with calamari?
Calamari is typically served as a stand-along type of appetizer.
However, if you’re making a full meal out of this dish, here are some nice sides to accompany squid:
Sweet & Spicy Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1.5 tbsp chili garlic paste
- ⅓ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup powdered erythritrol
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- Add egg and cream to a large bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- Add almond flour, Old Bay and rinds to a plate.
- Dredge calamari rings and peppers in dairy mixture, then rinds/flour mixture. Only air fry one layer at a time.
- Air fry at 400°F for 10-14 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Batter as usual, but bake them at 400°F for 10 minutes, flipping halfway, and then baking for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Batter the calamari rings as usual, but cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to frying in the pan.
- Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a large pot to at least 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add rings, one at a time to the pot. Remove after a few minutes, when golden brown.
Sweet Chili Sauce Instructions
- Mix all ingredients in small pot over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently with a whisk. Remove.