Only 3 ingredients for this delectable keto friendly, low carb, gluten-free and sugar-free caramel syrup. Pairs perfectly on sugar free brownies, ice cream, or with fruit.
Can I have caramel on the keto diet?
Unfortunately, no. Regular caramel has a ton of sugar and carbs. One serving of regular caramel can pack a punch of up to 50 g. total carbohydrates!
This caramel sauce, however, tastes just the same with only 1 carb per serving and it is under 100 calories. 🙂
Is this caramel like regular caramel?
Yes. In fact, it reminds me of old fashioned caramel from fairs or caramel covered popcorn, similar to Cracker Jacks.
How do I make caramel sauce low carb?
Easy. Only three ingredients! You'll need:
- heavy whipping cream
- granulated erythritol
- ... and a pinch of salt if you like salty caramel 😉
If you're only on a low carb diet, you may also want to add a teaspoon of molasses. It helps give a darker color and a bit more of an old fashioned flavor. No molasses on hand? No worries. Your caramel sauce will be brilliant regardless.
What can I serve with keto caramel drizzle?
This keto caramel reminds me of the old fashioned caramel on Cracker Jacks. This caramel pairs nicely with:
- ice cream
- brownies (try our recipe here)
- keto pancakes/waffles and whipped cream
How do I store keto caramel sauce?
Just seal in a glass jar and store in the fridge for up to a week. If you need to reheat, just place in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and give it a stir.
Keto Caramel Sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup granulated erythritol
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch salt optional
- 1 tsp molasses optional
- Add butter to medium heat, stirring until fully melted. Wait 5-10 minutes.
- When butter is golden brown, add in other ingredients and stir until just incorporated. Reduce heat to low setting.
- For 15-20 minutes, do not stir and allow sauce to simmer. Remove and place in a glass jar to keep. Use microwave to reheat, then stir as needed to use again. Serve over fruit, chocolate, or ice cream.
If you like keto caramel, you'll love:
- Keto vanilla wafers
- Banana Cream Pudding
- Brownie bites with caramel drizzle
- Keto Spice cake with Bourbon Glaze
- Spinach Cream Mushrooms
- Strawberry Keto Pepper Jelly
This recipe was inspired by Delish's recipe for caramel.