Quick and easy keto creamy crab soup. Easily make this delicious bisque with fresh crab or canned crab.
My favorite comforting, low-carb seafood stew, ready in only 15 minutes!
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this creamy seafood soup
Can I have crab on the keto diet?
Is crab low carb and keto friendly? Yes. Seafood is naturally carb-free.
One can of crab meat has no carbs! That’s right! None. Nada.
How do I make low carb creamy crab soup?
This low-carb and keto friendly crab bisque is so easy to make and inspired by Martha Stewart’s shrimp Bisque.
- First, you’ll start with a roux-type of base for the soup. I like to use almond flour and butter to begin. In many traditional soups, you’ll see a flour and butter base, but this one doesn’t have all those nasty carbs!
- Next, add in your dairy: half and half, cream cheese, and heavy whipping cream.
- Finally, add in the crab and seasonings to the mix.
What seasonings can I add to crab soup?
I like to use dried chives, Old Bay Seasoning and Tony’s Creole seasoning.
If you don’t have Tony’s or chives, you may use fresh onions, onion powder, or garlic powder to substitute those ingredients.
Just give it a little taste-test to determine your preferences of flavor.
Can I use canned crab to make crab soup/bisque?
I have to admit, I was really skeptical about using canned crab for this recipe.
However, it was all I had on hand.
To be perfectly honest, I wanted a fast crab soup that tasted like lobster bisque, but without all the fuss and long list of ingredients.
This soup is simple, yet full of flavor, just like lobster bisque.
Can I freeze crab soup?
I do not recommend freezing this soup because of all the dairy.
How long will seafood stew last in the fridge?
Crab soup will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator. If you’re unsure, just sniff and you’ll definitely know!
What are crab substitutions?
No crab? No problem! For this recipe, you may use imitation crab, canned or the real deal.
No crab? You can use canned chicken and peppers for a delicious creamy chicken pepper stew.
Leftover crab? Make a cajun seafood foil pack right in the oven!
Keto Creamy Crab Soup
- On medium-low heat, melt butter in a large pot. Add almond flour with cream cheese and whisk until incorporated.
- Whisk in heavy whipping cream and half and half.
- Add crab and remaining ingredients and cook on med-low until hot.
- Serve with parmesan cheese, if desired.