These Ham and Swiss Pinwheels are absolutely scrumptious….and keto friendly
An easy low carb, gluten-free, paleo & keto friendly recipe for a party favorite: ham and cheese roll ups. No need for puff pastry here! Ham, Swiss cheese, and fathead dough combine with sweet and tangy dijon mustard glaze for these low carb keto ham & Swiss pinwheels.
Ham and Swiss Party Rolls
I had these delicious party rolls by Averie Cooks at a friend’s party and I loved them. I decided to make them keto-style with a lower carb count.
What is fathead dough?
Fathead dough is popular in the low-carb community as a delicious alternative to the high carb count of breads and pizza doughs.
How to make hot ham and cheese party rolls
Fathead dough is easy to make, but many dislike the coconut taste.
To prevent this, I added a bit of onion powder to my dough and it made a world of difference. The onion powder pairs great with the onion bits in the buttery topping for this ham and cheese keto party roll recipe.
How do I make ham & Swiss pinwheels?
When you take the hot ham and cheese dough out of the oven, it should still be a bit workable and not completely cooked through.
Because of its malleability, you can roll it around the ham and swiss easily. You’ll want to cut the roll directly down the middle, to preserve the “roll” shape. Next, continue cutting each half of your hot ham and cheese party roll directly down it’s middle until you get 7-8 pinwheels.
Finally, use a brush to layer on the buttery dijon mixture and bake another 5-10 minutes until crust is golden and the cheese is melted to perfection.
Can I use other meats for hot ham and cheese?
Of course, try some of these other options:
- ham spirals with pepperoni
- cheese roll ups with mozzarella and buttery Italian spices
- hot turkey and cheese party rolls using the same fathead dough, Swiss cheese and buttery dijon glaze
- use your fathead dough “crescent rolls” for roast beef and white American cheese roll-ups topped with sautéed peppers and onions for a low-carb Philly cheese snack
Keto Ham & Swiss Pinwheels
Buttery Dijon Sauce
- 1/2 lb ham slices
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine mozzarella and cream cheese in a large microwavable bowl. Microwave for 60 seconds, stopping half way through to stir. Knead.
- Add eggs, onion powder and coconut flour to dough mixture. Add up to 1/4 c. more coconut flour if dough becomes too “eggy.”
- Spread out mixture on a buttered, oven-safe pan (or silicone baking sheet) to form a square crust about 1/4 in thick.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes. Remove and poke holes with a fork if bubbles formed in the dough. Bake additional 3-4 minutes and remove.
Buttery Dijon Sauce
- Combine butter, dried onion, erythritol, and poppy seeds in small saucepan on med heat, stirring frequently until incorporated. Set aside or keep on low heat.
- Layer ham, then cheese slices along the entirety of dough. Roll.
- Carefully cut roll directly in half, then those halves, making cuts 1 inches thick.
- Layer pinwheels on their side in a buttered casserole dish. Brush on buttery dijon sauce. Bake for 5-10 minutes until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love: