The best beef-stuffed poblano peppers are keto friendly and low in carbs.
Simple beef stuffed poblano peppers are easy to make in a dinner pinch.
These beef stuffed poblano peppers are so easy, they'll practically make themselves.
Are poblano peppers keto friendly?
- There's only 5 g net carbs in one whole poblano pepper and 2.5 in a half.
- Poblano peppers are also high in Fiber, Vitamin A and Vitamin B-6.
Note: This recipe was inspired by Creme de la Crumb's delicious stuffed poblanos. By cutting out the corn, rice and tomatoes, we save on time and carbs. If you love tomatoes and chiles, however, feel free to add a bit.
The carb count isn't terribly high in tomatoes, especially if you're only eating a bit.
How do I roast poblano peppers?
Before stuffing your poblanos with the beef mixture, you'll want to make sure your peppers are softened.
Here's a few tips for roasting your poblanos and making them soft:
- Place in the microwave for 30 second increments until soft
- Rub with oil and place in covered oven pan for 30-40 min at 400º
I like to start mine in the microwave, since it's much faster.
However, if you prefer a rich, roasted shell, here's an easy tutorial:
Once your peppers are soft, simply fill them up with your favorite mixture.
Other ways to stuff a poblano (keto):
- buffalo shredded chicken & cheddar
- cream cheese and beef stuffed poblano peppers
- chicken, bacon bits and cheese with ranch dressing
- chorizo sausage and egg stuffed poblano
- cajun shrimp and cooked cauliflower rice
Can I freeze beef stuffed poblano peppers?
Yes, peppers keep well when frozen, but not so much after they've already been cooked.
My advice here is to cut your pepper in half, remove seeds and freeze the pepper without cooking.
You can also freeze your beef mixture in an air-tight freezer bag, before or after cooking.
When you're ready to prepare: just grab from the freezer, defrost, roast, and fill with your favorite topping.
3 other keto-friendly ways to prepare and use poblano peppers
- chopped in soups, tacos, chili
- pureed with sour cream and a bit of taco seasoning for a spicy salad, steak, or seafood sauce
- diced and added to cream cheese and bacon bits for a delicious party dip
- Try Roasted Poblano Cheddar Soup or Creamy Chicken Poblano Soup
Beef-Stuffed Poblano Peppers (keto)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning (no sugar added)
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- 1 medium onion (optional, not strict keto)
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp cilantro (optional, garnish)
- 2 tbsp queso cotija, sprinkled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Meanwhile, brown ground beef on med-high heat with chopped onion, then add taco seasoning mix.
- Microwave whole poblano peppers for 30 seconds at a time, until softened. Cut each pepper in half, remove seeds and fill with ground beef mix.
- Top with Monterey Jack cheese and bake for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Optional: Add sour cream, queso cotija, cilantro, salsa verde or your favorite Mexican toppings!