If you’re looking for the perfect Asian-inspired keto zoodle lo mein stir fry recipe, look no further. This is the best zoodle stir fry and it’s fast and easy, just like my zoodle pasta dish and inside out egg roll.
Why you’ll love this recipe
My family loves this vegetarian, Asian-inspired lo mein so much we typically make it at least once a week. These low carb stir fry noodles are the perfect dinner in under 15 minutes and they’re budget-friendly.
How many calories are in lo mein?
There’s typically 300-400 calories in a regular lo mein ordered from the restaurant.
This low carb lo mein has only 155 calories.
How many carbs are in lo mein?
Chances are, if you’re eating lo main at a restaurant, there’s a lot of carbs in those egg noodles.
Typical lo mein can have up to 50 carbs in a regular lo mein ordered from the restaurant.
This keto lo mein only has 4.2 carbs.
- zucchini squash– fresh, washed with damp paper towel
- garlic– minced finely
- soy sauce
- sesame oil– extra virgin/ organic sesame oil is keto-friendly and flavorful
- xanthan gum– low carb alternative to cornstarch
Pro tip: To make this zoodle stir-fry more like takeout, simply add in a healthy protein (grilled chicken, steak) or tofu to the zoodles.
What can I substitute for zucchini noodles for a low carb Chinese stir-fry?
If you do not have zucchini noodles or “zoodles” for this recipe, I recommend any of the following:
- Green beans
- Shirataki mushrooms
- Shredded cabbage (also called “egg roll in a bowl”)
- Broccoli florets and a bit of shredded carrot
- Cauliflower fried rice with scrambled egg
The best keto stir-fry sauce
The thick, Asian-inspired stir fry sauce is easy to make.
Simply mix the sauce ingredients in a glass canning jar or air-tight container and shake.
Xanthan gum is used in place of corn starch to make it a keto friendly stir fry sauce. You may also substitute olive oil for sesame oil to lower the carb count further.
How do I make Asian stir fry zucchini noodles (zoodles)?
- First, use a spiralizer to make your zoodles.
- Next, mix all ingredients (soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil) to a jar. Seal and shake.
- Pat zoodles dry with a paper towel and add them to your wok or frying pan with a bit of oil.
- Finally, add the sauce to your zoodle stir-fry and mix on medium heat and your zucchini noodles are soft.
Can I freeze lo mein zoodles?
I do not recommend freezing these zucchini noodles once cooked in the stir-fry sauce.
Zoodle lo mein is best if eaten the same day it is pan-fried.
How do I make sweet and spicy zoodles?
Another great way to spice up your Chinese-inspired dishes is to add sweet chili sauce to your stir- fry.
What are other ways to make keto lo mein?
- Add other veggies such as broccoli, cabbage cauliflower, green beans, or a teeny bit or peas/carrots
- Make it meaty! Add in grilled steak or chicken.
- Love seafood? Try Mediterranean shrimp and zoodles
- Like Italian? Try this easy zucchini pasta
Zoodle Lo Mein Stir Fry
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- Mix sauce ingredients in a Mason jar or right container with a lid. Shake and place aside.
- Add zoodles and a bit of butter to a wok or pan and add zoodle ingredients.
- Pour sauce over zoodles and mix over medium heat for approximately 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
This recipe was inspired by Build Your Bite’s recipe for homemade stir fry sauce.