Looking for a spinach and chicken recipe for dinner? This creamy spinach chicken casserole made with cream cheese and mozzarella is easy, keto and low-carb friendly.
How do I prepare spinach chicken casserole?
This easy chicken recipe can be made in three easy steps.
- Bake Chicken
- Add spinach cream cheese topping, then add mozzarella cheese to top it off
- Bake again
What are things I can make with leftover spinach chicken casserole?
Leftovers from this recipe can be easily served over a bed of cauliflower rice or with a side salad.
How do I make chicken stuffed with creamed spinach?
If you prefer stuff in your chicken with a spinach cream cheese mixture, simply add the filling prior to baking.
You may top the chicken with leftover filling.
How many calories does spinach chicken casserole have?
This recipe has 520 calories.
How many carbs does spinach chicken casserole have?
This recipe has 6 grams carbohydrates making it an excellent choice for a healthy keto/low carb diet.
How many carbs are in chicken breasts?
Chicken breasts have no carbs.
How long will spinach chicken casserole keep in the fridge?
This dish will last up to three days in a sealed airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze spinach chicken casserole?
Once cooked, this dish may be sealed in an airtight freezer bag for up to three months.
To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then placed back into the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350°F.
How to make spinach chicken casserole in the slow cooker?
For the slow cooker, I recommend using smaller chicken breasts.
- Layer the bottom of your slow cooker/crockpot with a few slices of butter. Top with chicken breasts.
- Cook on low for 3 hours, then add cream cheese and spinach for the remaining 1-2 hours.
- Mix the melted cream cheese with the spinach on top of the chicken and add extra mozzarella/red pepper flakes (optional).
What can I substitute for chicken?
If you do not have chicken breast, chicken tenderloins, chicken thighs, or turkey breast will work well for this healthy recipe.
What can I substitute for spinach?
If you do not have spinach, zucchini noodles, broccoli or cauliflower will work nicely for this recipe.
What can I add to chicken casserole?
- More of your favorite veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms)
- Cajun seasonings
- Poblano, bell jalepeño peppers
How to Save Time
Save time with this recipe by using pre-cooked or leftover shredded chicken, like rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken breasts.
Can I make it in the Instant Pot?
Yes, begin by pressure cooking chopped chicken for 5 minutes (high pressure).
Natural release for at least 7 minutes, then add in cream cheese and spinach.
Keep warm for 5 minutes, then stir.
Can I use frozen spinach?
Yes, just thaw out by warming in hot water for about 30 minutes or on the stovetop in boiling water, then drain before using.
How do I get my mozzarella cheese to brown in a casserole?
Broil your casserole for 2-3 minutes, checking frequently
Lastly, only salt your chicken after it’s out of the oven, so it won’t dry out too much.
Instead of using spinach and cream cheese, you may want to try:
- broccoli, cauliflower and cream cheese chicken casserole
- poblano peppers, cream cheese and bacon with baked chicken
- sautéed onions added to creamed mushrooms atop baked chicken
Best sides for this recipe
The best side dishes for spinach chicken casserole include:
- Extra low-carb veggies, like green beans / zucchini chips
- A few slices of tomato with salt and pepper
Creamy Spinach Chicken Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a buttered baking dish, add chicken breasts and top with slices of butter. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat cream cheese in microwave for 30 sec. to soften.
- Add mozzarella, salt, pepper and garlic powder to cream cheese. Stir. Add spinach and stir, one cup at a time.
- Remove chicken. Top with cheese & spinach mixture. Add red pepper flakes, and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese if desired.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is beginning to turn golden brown.